Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Rough Times Ahead

On the way to the vet (again)
Today was another pretty scary day for all of us who love Laura.

I came home for lunch to check on Laura and to let her outside for a few minutes.   When she greeted me at the door she seemed fine.  Her tail was wagging and she was running around the house (as is typical when I come home).   A few seconds later she just collapsed -- fell to the floor like she fainted.   She got right back up however and was shaking a little, but within a few minutes was acting "normal" again.   I checked her gums.  My heart sank.  Her gums were white.   All that came to my mind was today is the day I'm going to lose my girl forever.   After 51 days and all the work we have done to help her, could this really be the end?

I immediately gave her a few Yunnan Baiyao pills (which supposedly stop internal bleeding).   I debated on whether to even call the vet.   I knew that if she was bleeding internally again there was not much they could do for her.   After a few minutes, I decided to go ahead and make the call.   Of course the vet wanted me to bring her right in.   I made a deal with them however, if I brought her in, there was no way I was leaving her there.   If she was going to pass away tonight, I wanted her to be at home in her bed and not by herself, alone, at the pet hospital.  They agreed, so I took her in.

By the time I got to the vet an hour later, her gums were nice and pink again and she was acting completely normal.   The vet examined her for a few minutes.  Her heart sounded strong and she couldn't feel any tumors.  Her weight was 54 pounds which is her usual weight.  The most likely explanation for the earlier collapse and white gums is that there is another tumor somewhere in her body that was bleeding but eventually healed itself.   They asked if I wanted to do blood work and x-rays and I elected not to when they told me that regardless of what they showed there wasn't much they could do for her at this point.  

Hanging out at Dad's Office
We left the vet together and she spent the afternoon with me at my office (she loves the attention she receives at my work).  She is at home now, acting pretty much back to normal, resting comfortably after eating her delicious dinner.  

The hemangiosarcoma certainly scored a point today, but Laura lives to fight another day.   That's all we can do is take things one day at a time from here on out.

I also want to point out that Laura was featured on another bloggers site earlier this week.   The author included a great article about Hemangiosarcoma (HSA).   Please check it out.  You can read it here.

6 comments:

  1. Laura is feeling much better today! Acting like a puppy again. It's great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, someone on Twitter has just recommended your blog, and it's excellent - although heartbreaking. Our dog Bess has just been diagnosed with lymphoma in the last two weeks and had her first chemo on Weds. She's having an off day today, but fingers crossed she's doing quite well. I also write a blog http://bessiesfight.blogspot.com/ and wondered whether you would mind if I mention yours. I was particularly interested in your 'cancer diet' and plan to make some changes in Bess' diet. Wishing you all the best, Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison,

    You can definitely mention our blog. I just read yours and my heart goes out to you. Bessie is absolutely adorable!!! Please give her a ton of hugs and kisses from Laura and I. We wish her nothing but the best. Good luck with the chemo. Laura took the first round of Chemo like a champ, but the second round has made her pretty sick for the last week and a half. Hopefully Bessie will handle the chemo better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came to visit from Twitter. I'm so sad to read about your dog's condition... You must have gone through a lot of struggle. My dad had cancer too, so I sympathise with you. I hope Laura will keep fighting for a while longer. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the mention. I am so glad to hear Laura is doing better. You both are troopers and I have nothing but admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Laura,
    Per my observation in my dog who has HSA, full stomach causes nausea and dogs tend to belch to relieve the stomach discomfort. When they do so, the force at belching tends to make the tumor to bleed causing all symptoms of HSA. so that now i try to give my dog smaller meals but more frequently as possible. just FYI and hopefully it helps. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete