Wednesday, May 11, 2011

4 Months Post HSA Diagnosis and doing well

It's hard to believe that it has been four months already since Laura was diagnosed with HSA.    While the time has flown by, looking back she has been through so much.   Laura successfully completed all five rounds of chemotherapy and continues to do very well.  It's almost incredible how well she is doing.   Since the completion of her chemo her gums have remained nice and pink and her overall health has been excellent.   Her blood tests continued to come back good throughout each chemo treatment. She is very much enjoying Spring (except for the thunderstorms!).

The only sticky spot has been her diet.   I continue to give her every single supplement outlined in her diet each day, but she has become much more picky on the food she will actually eat.   A few weeks ago I started making her a meatloaf concoction after she stopped eating her normal diet (as outlined in Laura's Cancer Diet).  Here is Laura's Meatloaf Recipe for those of you in the same boat:

Laura's Meatloaf
5 Pounds Ground Beef
2 Pounds Ground Turkey
2 Pounds Chicken or Beef Liver
1 Bag of Celery
2 Cartons of fresh mushrooms
7 Cloves of Garlic
1 Carrot
12 Eggs
2 boxes frozen spinich

In a food processor finely chop up the celery, mushooms, garlic and carrot.   In a large skillet, heat the chopped vegetable mixture along with the drained spinich.   In a seperate bowl, combine the ground beef, ground turkey, liver (liquify in a food processor) and eggs.   After cooking the vegetable mixture for about 20 minutes, let cool.   Incorporate the vegetable mixture with the meat mixture.  Divide mixture into four meat loaf pans.  Heat in a 350 degree oven for 1-2 hours.   Makes four large meat loafs.   I cut the meat loaf into four slices each and she gets one slice 2x per day.

As far as getting her to take her supplements, I've been doing it the "hard" way.   I coat her pills in Lipiderm, open her mouth and drop them in the back of her throat.  I then close her mouth and rub her neck until she swallows them.   I repeat the process until she has taken all her supplements.   See Laura's Cancer Diet (link in the upper right hand corner of this page) for the full supplement list.   I really believe the supplements have helped her fight this awful cancer.

So far she loves the meatloaf!  

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers.  Laura and I appreciate it.

4 comments:

  1. Great news about Laura! I have a 9.5 yr old German Shepherd that had an enlarged spleen (I immediately put him on a cancer diet)... 5 days after the xray he was having a spleenectomy. 10 days later I got the bad news it's hemangiosarcoma (HSA). The dog weighed 87.75 lbs in Nov 2010. April 15 (xray day) he was 84. 5 days later for bloodwork,he went down to 83. Just after surgery a few days after that he was down to 80. I'm happy to report he's back up to 87 lbs. Hoping this is a good thing! His energy level is going well (maybe it's in his genes), he eats often and sometimes I do change it up for him, but I use liverwurst for his supplements (I use most of what you use on Laura, except I will add fresh parsley from my garden - thanks!) Cream cheese is also good for hiding pills. Would like to chat with Laura's parents via email: please email me at torygsd@yahoo.com as I'm new to blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently lost my 17 year old girl to HSA after 2 months and 10 days of battle. She had gone thru chemo with doxo but she failed. Later she tried carboplatin but she left me before the follow up visit. I didn't opt for surgery due to her age even if she was healthy but maybe I made a wrong choice. I had been using your info as a guide to cope with the disease and thank you so much for the sharing. All the Best to Laura! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Laura's Dad. I just found your blog and am hoping that Laura continues to do well. My dog was diagnosed in early March, and we've been fighting a similar battle. I just wanted to send good wishes your way and thank you for sharing your story with us. Wishing you well!
    Mary (aka, Hannah's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How is Laura? You haven't posted in a while, please tell us she is ok.

    ReplyDelete